Sunday, June 26, 2005

Heat Wave

Heat Wave

I make my way through to where you wait,
sleeping. The sky hauls
wispy clouds in, protectors
of blue monotony.

You are under a willow tree.
You've forgotten to bring a book so
you sleep, fitfully,
in the steep heat's
sticky envelope.

I have something to tell you,
but I'm leery of waking you.
I am sweaty in my sandals.
I've brought pita sandwiches
& bottled water for our lunch.

This section of the park is empty
& we like it that way.
I sense that if I wake you
you'll just be too hot –
if too hot, cranky maybe.

A jogger, porpoise-sleek, flashes
by. What I have to tell you
turns, humidly, into a headache.
On my shoulders, heat rash marks
where earlier there were
backpack straps.

I think of something else to tell you,
but it's only about this weather, nothing
you aren't feeling already.

I'm losing my appetite,
my desire to have you notice me,
my thoughts about my thoughts.

I decide – I think wisely –
to let you sleep.

1 Comments:

Blogger vagabon said...

This is a beautiful poem and a beautiful reading dj. I think that some of the images are very gripping, as in "protectors
of blue monotony" or "in the steep heat's sticky envelope". It also brings to mind the fragility of us and pretense at thought coming face to face with such a mondane and routine thing as heat. What we call human disapear and we revert to no thought. Is it really wise to let it sleep? To avoid the pain of our awakening to our own fragility? Maybe...

v
P.S. the rythm of the reading really brings up the poem...

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home