Monday, May 30, 2005

The Canadian Tag Team

From Charlie, courtesy of Emily: A poet-seeking missile is heading to earth from outer space philistines. Only three contemporary poets (besides you) will be able to survive in the bomb shelter. Which three poets do you choose to save and why?

Phyllis Webb - a farout Canadian poet`s poet, somebody in her 70s by now who I`m already afraid might disappear in spite of stellar work. So much I want to ask her, about her anti-ghazals, all the poets she knows & has known, about living writing for years in a small house on a pleasant Gulf island which legend has it is filled to the rafters with unpublished work - she is already a survivor actually - I figure her sparse (if possibly voluminous) work needs protection, not her...

Leonard Cohen - oh I`m gathering a spiritual bunch with peculiar takes on the world & love, as well as on the spiritual. Would love to get Webb & Cohen talking...

Margaret Atwood - geez - all my poets are over 65!! But I figure Atwood`s hardy, will outlive me, & with all the work we`ll have to do just to survive, she`ll get back into more poetry, no time for those brick novels of hers (I do like them too though).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home