Saturday, March 19, 2005

The stick to beat me with...

I was given the stick by Jenni (j.hughes) – here are my answers




You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be:


The Awful Rowing Toward God – Anne Sexton

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?


Oh quite a few – Alyosha in Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov; the idiot in Dostoyevsky's book The Idiot; Bartlby [!!!!] Who always 'preferred not' in a Melville short story;le petit prince; the cockroach in Kafka's The Metamorphosis, etc. Gotta face it – I'm a sucker for the naïve sweetheart, at least when he's fictional. Now about the self-fictionalizing bad boys I've had the hots for over the years…


The last book you bought is:


"Nothing But Brush Strokes" by Phyllis Webb

The last book you read:


"Queen Rat" by Lynn Crosbie

What are you currently reading?


*Soul-making -The Desert Way of Spirituality by Alan Jones

*Re-visioning Psychology – James Hillman

*Collected Poems 1970-1985 – Susan Musgrave

*Water and Light – Phyllis Webb

*Living at the Movies – Jim Carroll

Five books you would take to a deserted island:

The Norton Anthology of English Literature, 2nd Edition; The Riverside Shakespeare, Complete Works; Anne Sexton, Complete Poems; Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson; Introduction to Fiction – Editors Jack David & Robert Lecker (all choices subject to change, depending on the day I find I'm leaving – this would be today)

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons)? And Why?


Geez, I've got to make some blogger friends!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

lol--"I prefer not to" --I loved that character too!

9:56 AM  
Blogger djuana said...

Yeah - there was a story for you about the soulessness of so much modern commerce, but even more just kinda heart wrenching, watching poor Bartlby (how spell?) Struggle. I wanted to bring him warm soup & a loaf of sourdough, a cracky few drops of brandy...xo

7:04 PM  
Blogger djuana said...

Hey there Paul - I hereby pass the stick to YOU. Looking forward to your answers - smile

xo

8:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hola,

Juana con la palangana.

d.

7:44 AM  
Blogger djuana said...

Didi - "la palangana": wash basin????

lol

djxo

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home