Monday, May 30, 2005

Teetering Titles

I'm a title junkie, not just, not even mainly, of poetry book titles – rather, book titles in general. Really must be the would be poet in me, seeing so much in a few clicking words – much that has nothing to do with the books in question sometimes. When I used to write songs for a band, more than once a glance at a bookshelf got me going lyrically, & the titles didn't even need to be that unusual – for example Living by Fiction (Annie Dillard) & The telling of lies (Timothy Findley). The first is the title of a book about narrative writing, the second a novel about a checkerboard childhood.

Some titles I like:

Hopeful Monsters

A Brief History of Everything

Hanging Fire

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant

Womanizing Nietzsche

Parasites of Heaven

Voltaire's Bastards

The Savage Mind

The Opposites Within

Main Brides

Long Day's Journey Into Night

Blooded Thought

Saint Maybe

Under A Glass Bell

etc etc etc – Geez – There's so many poems waiting to happen to me when I scan those shelves – it's almost as good as picking up a dictionary – almost as good & sometimes better – The Imago Bird…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home